New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 am

Red Tail Trail, North Conway - Voluntary Closure 
Contributor

Post Red Tail Trail, North Conway - Voluntary Closure
Hi guys. I know some of you have ridden this fine trail during travels to Attitash and I'd like you to help get the word out. The Conway Conservation Commission and the White Mountain Chapter of NEMBA have invoked a voluntary closure of the Red Tail Trail on Black Cap Mountain through mud season.

Why this trail? Soils on much of this trail are fine silts and clays and are highly erosive. Our goal is to minimize traffic during the seasonal period that these poorly drained soils are saturated.

What does Voluntary Closure mean? It is our hope that all users will stay off the trail during this period. This temporary closure is strictly voluntary, but we sincerely appreciate the efforts of those users who observe the closure.

What can I do to help? NEMBA will be doing trail work on Sunday, May 13th to complete a short reroute and address drainage issues. Meet behind Subway at the Scenic Vista at 9:00 am, work should be complete by 12:30. Bring work gloves, boots, snacks & water; we have plenty of tools. Attendees will be entered to win a Jamis full suspension bike (drawn at end of season).

NEMBA members put in over 280 hours of work on this trail in 2006. Our long-term goal is to make this trail as maintenance free as possible by improving drainage and rerouting problem sections. Your help is appreciated. For questions or comments please PM me or email at adair DOT rob AT gmail.com.

Thanks.

Building a new log ride last May.

Last edited by radair on Fri May 04, 2007 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:57 pm
Contributor

Sounds like a good idea to prevent permanent damage and year-long wet spots.

What is with that massive drop/gap in the open section next to the giant dead tree? That thing was huge and it looked like it was in the middle of construction. Do you know if anyone got to hit it?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:41 pm
Contributor

...What is with that massive drop/gap in the open section next to the giant dead tree? That thing was huge and it looked like it was in the middle of construction. Do you know if anyone got to hit it?

I was told Tim White did it but it wasn't pretty (whatever that means). His friends dismantled it on their own shortly afterward when the Town's forester expressed concern to the Conservation Commission. I don't know of anyone else hitting it.

The town of Conway has been really supportive of new trails on town lands, including those with technical features, but unauthorized stunts as sick (and obvious) as this one would likely impact future cooperation.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Contributor

matchew wrote:
...What is with that massive drop/gap in the open section next to the giant dead tree? That thing was huge and it looked like it was in the middle of construction. Do you know if anyone got to hit it?

I was told Tim White did it but it wasn't pretty (whatever that means). His friends dismantled it on their own shortly afterward when the Town's forester expressed concern to the Conservation Commission. I don't know of anyone else hitting it.

The town of Conway has been really supportive of new trails on town lands, including those with technical features, but unauthorized stunts as sick (and obvious) as this one would likely impact future cooperation.

Not Tim White or Tim Simoneau ( as rumored). No one hit that drop as it was built by someone who didn't have the skill to hit what they built.
That thing was a mess, hacking up a senseless line with a 15 footer or more to flat with nice sharp pointy rocks if you came up short. Someone who didn't know any better could have really screwed themselves up good on that one.
Once doodoo hit the fan on this fiasco, we dragged his butt up there to tear that down, which he promptly did (thus avoiding trail closure which would have practically gotten him run outta town)
Well, perp will remain nameless as he has promised not to go and do any more dumb renegade stunt building on other peoples trails.
"no shovel for you!"

Thu May 03, 2007 10:45 pm
Contributor

Not Tim White or Tim Simoneau ( as rumored). No one hit that drop as it was built by someone who didn't have the skill to hit what they built.
That thing was a mess, hacking up a senseless line with a 15 footer or more to flat with nice sharp pointy rocks if you came up short. Someone who didn't know any better could have really screwed themselves up good on that one.
Once doodoo hit the fan on this fiasco, we dragged his butt up there to tear that down, which he promptly did (thus avoiding trail closure which would have practically gotten him run outta town)
Well, perp will remain nameless as he has promised not to go and do any more dumb renegade stunt building on other peoples trails.
"no shovel for you!"

Good, that thing was just off the trail and barely blocked off someone could have very easily come into that thinking it was the trail the result would have been less than OK. I couldnt believe that that thing was there on a NEMBA trail like that. Good to see Justice was served.

Props to everyone that is doing all the work up there, I was liking all of the new berms last season!

Thu May 03, 2007 10:55 pm
Contributor

The berms got a lot of great feedback from a wide range of users, which is positive.

Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 pm
Contributor

The new section we'll be finishing has a stunning stone switchback that I'm really excited to get completed. This little reroute replaces 100 yards of wet skidder road with 300 yards of sweet singletrack. Here's a pic of the stonework about 75% done:

If we can keep sally lines from forming around it I'll be really happy.

Fri May 04, 2007 7:03 am
Contributor

is sticks and stones dry and rideable yet?

Fri May 04, 2007 11:31 am
Contributor

is sticks and stones dry and rideable yet?

Yes, it's fine. The powerline is in its typical state of muck in the usual places.

Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 am
Contributor

My back hurts just looking at that stonework.
Awesome. 8-)

Fri May 04, 2007 12:01 pm
Contributor

Great work with the stone. That is some serious rock work.

Fri May 04, 2007 12:07 pm
Contributor

Nice work guys. I should be upt here in a few weeks to ride S&S, Red Tail and all those other trails int he area assuming they are dry.

Fri May 04, 2007 5:49 pm
Contributor

Thanks to those who helped out.

Sun May 13, 2007 1:19 pm
Contributor

where is this located again? sorry if i missed it..

Sun May 13, 2007 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor

it is off hurricane mountain road, after a bridge there is a dhort road to a water tower you can park on the road and ride?hike up the trail which starts just above the water tower, you know you are at the top when you see a sign with the name at the top of the trail

Sun May 13, 2007 5:07 pm